Saturday, March 5, 2016

Mentor of the Month: March

March's mentor of the month is Mohamed Gamal-Eldin! Mohamed is currently a Ph.D. student in Urban Systems-History specialization in a dual program at New Jersery Institute of Technology/Rutgers.  Before coming to NJIT/Rutgers he completed an MA in Middle East Studies at the American University in Cairo and a bachelors in history from Temple University. His dissertation research is on the development of secondary/peripheral cities in the 19th and early 20th century Egypt. He's a teachers assistance at NJIT. where I also teach on architectural history.

We asked him, "What was one of piece of advice she wished she knew while in college?" This is what he had to say:

"I've been involved with LAMP from the beginning and working on this project has demonstrated the need out there for qualified mentors who understand the challenges you will face in jumping into the post-university setting.  It has reminded me that I am not in this alone and that I must give back to the younger generations the knowledge I've learned over the years. 


Thankfully, I always had professors who mentored me and continue to push me in better directions as a student and professionally, but I guess one thing I think students under estimate is the need to seek out a professor or two who could become an informal type of mentor.  Building relationships with faculty who have years of experience can help you make the right choice.  They know your work and see your performance in class so who better to help guide you."


-Mohamed Gamal-Eldin

No comments:

Post a Comment